Saturday, May 23, 2009

POD People



The pressure of our simultaneous moves to Seattle and Kenya just increased this morning. A truck with our POD pulled up at 9am and off-loaded a 16' POD onto our driveway. Now that it is here I have to get serious about a packing strategy, since the total space (8' by 8' by 16') equals the size of a San Joaquin kit fox burrow. Actually the preceding comparison may be a tad off since I've never actually been inside a kit fox burrow, but I hear that they are quite spacious from a kit foxes' perspective.


It's always interesting to me to see how a company will solve a problem. In this case, the problem is, "How do we deliver the POD on a flat-bed truck and get it off and on without tipping it?" The solution - build an exoskeleton that can serve as a four-point hoist to lift it off the bed of the truck and lower it while keeping it stable. I have more pictures of the process, but realize that not everybody shares my interests...



I'm glad that we'll have the company of some of our friends as we do our major packing next Thursday. The doors are open!

No comments:

Post a Comment